An approved provider may be an individual, institution, organization or agency responsible for the development, implementation, evaluation, financing, record keeping and quality of continuing nursing education activities. Rather than submit an application for a single event, you submit an application to become a provider of continuing education. An approved provider is authorized to independently award contact hours for continuing education for their organization through adherence to ANCC standards. Examples of providers include: an individually owned business, university, community college or patient care facility. A commercial interest organization cannot be an Approved Provider. An approved provider may award contact hours for an unlimited number of educational activities during its three-year approval period. Approved providers may NOT approve continuing education for other entities.
New 2015 ANCC Criteria
- Applications accepted three times per year (March 1, July 1 & November 1) see cycle chart below
- Application review fee applies based on type of organization
- Applicants must meet specific eligibility requirements to apply (see intent to apply form)
In order to become a provider of continuing nursing education programs, your organization must offer three individual continuing nursing education programs that have been approved by an Accredited Approver Unit, the NE-MSD or one of the five states within this NE-MSD Division and the programs have to be completed before the submission of the provider application.
- A clerical review is done to ensure all the necessary paperwork is included. Your facility will be notified if required information is missing.
- Once the clerical corrections (if needed) are received, the entire application then goes to a NE-MSD approver unit Nurse Peer Reviewer(s) for review.
- The Nurse Peer Reviewer(s) then notifies the CNE coordinator of any updates/corrects that are needed. If corrections are needed, your facility will be notified by email of these changes. Your facility will need to update the requested information and sent back to NE-MSD coordinators via email.
- These corrected/updated pages will then be sent to the Nurse Peer Reviewer(s) for final review and approval of the application.
- You will receive an approval letter from NE-MSD once the Approved Provider Application has been fully approved. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
- Approved Provider Applicants are required to submit an intent-to-apply form to ensure you meet all the criteria and submit a $200 intent-to-apply fee.
- Once the intent to apply form is completed and submitted, the Nurse Peer Review Leader will review and approve your intent to apply. The CNE coordinator will notify you by email if your organization is eligible to continue with your Approved Provider application.
- Approved Provider Applicants are required to submit three sample continuing nursing education activities.
- When your application and supporting documentation are complete, please submit payment below.
- Approved Provider applications need to be submitted in table of contents order.
- Email one completely merged application file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Approved Provider Intent to Apply
Approved Provider Application Instructions Guide for Writing the Application and Self Study - NEW
Approved Provider Application - Self Study Criterion - NEW
Continuing Education Activities 12 Month Summary
Three Individual Activity Files - Use an activity file documentation check list to insure your activity files are complete for review:
Approved Provider Annual Reports - Due January 31st each year of approval period
Activity Documentation Forms
Approved Provider Activity Planning Form - NEW
Gap Analysis Worksheet
Educational Planning Table/Agenda - NEW
Conflict of Interest Form (COI) - NEW
Sign In Sheet with Disclosures
Verbal Disclosures Attestation Form
Participant Evaluation Sample
Summative Evaluation Sample
Activity File Documentation Checklist
Commercial Support Agreement
Joint Provider Agreement
Resources to Learn ANCC Criteria and Self Study Application Requirements
Join the NE-MSD Nurse Peer Review Education Committee
Organizational Change Notification Form
Writing to the Narrative Style of Documentation
2015 Accreditation Program Overview Training
Content Integrity Standards
Commercial Support or Sponsorship Decision Tree
Frequently Asked Questions
PDF Bookmarking Tips and Instructions
- learn how to review Individual Activities and Approved Provider Self Study applications as a means to stay current as a nurse planner and network with peers. Learn more
$200.00 Intent-to-Apply Fee NEW
Organizations interested in applying to become an Approved Provider must complete the eligibility verification process, meet all eligibility requirements and submit a $200 intent-to-apply fee. The Northeast Multi-State Division is responsible for ensuring that the applicant is eligible to apply.
The $200.00 intent-to-apply fee may be paid by check or credit card through the Northeast Multi-State Division website. The intent-to-apply fee is non-refundable if the organization submits an intent-to-apply form and decides not to proceed with the submission of the full Approved Provider application. The intent-to-apply fee will be credited toward the provider application review fee for organizations that proceed forward with the full Provider Application.
$2,500.00 Single Agency Provider
SINGLE AGENCY PROVIDER: A single agency provider may be part of a larger corporate system. However, the single agency/hospital is only providing continuing education for the agency/hospital named in the application. A single agency/hospital provider does not act as the provider of continuing education for multiple agencies/hospitals.
$4,800.00 System Provider
SYSTEM PROVIDER: A system provider is a multi‐agency/hospital/health care system providing health care services through three or more agencies/hospitals that share a common mission and/or purpose. The system is a corporation with a central administration providing services to all of the agencies/hospitals within the corporate structure. A system provider has in place at the corporate level a centralized staff development and/or continuing education department responsible for planning and implementing a system wide continuing education program. All agencies/hospitals in system must be named in the application and remain unchanged throughout approval period.
$500.00 Late Fee
A late fee of $500.00 is assessed for applications not meeting the self-study application cycle date listed below. Extensions up to 3 months may be granted at the discretion of the NE-MSD Accredited Approver Unit and must be requested in writing with explanation of cause. Extension dates will not change the original approval period. For example the expiration date is 5/1/2016, an extension is granted to 8/1/2016. Application is submitted and approved and expiration date is 5/1/2019, a three year period based on your original expiration date.
Approved Providers are required to pay an annual fee and submit their yearly report due on January 31st.
Annual reporting notices will go out first week of December.
Email completed annual monitoring report, continuing education summary documents and one complete merged education activity file to email@example.com.
- Single Agency Annual Fee $150.00
- System Provider Annual Fee $400.00
|Intent to Apply Due
||June 1 - September 1
||October 1 - January 1
||February 1 - May 1
The Northeast Multi-State Division is accredited as an approver and provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation (ANCC COA).
If you have any questions please email Nemsd.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-373-1291 and one of our coordinators will be happy to assist you.
Billing question please email email@example.com.