Approved Provider Definition
An approved provider may be an individual, institution, organization or agency responsible for the development, implementation, evaluation, financing, record keeping and quality of continuing nursing education activities. Rather than submit an application for a single event, you submit an application to become a provider of continuing education. An approved provider is authorized to independently award contact hours for continuing education for their organization through adherence to ANCC standards. Examples of providers include:
- an individually owned business
- university, community college
- patient care facility.
A commercial interest
organization cannot be an Approved Provider. An approved provider may award contact hours for an unlimited number of educational activities during its three-year approval period. Approved providers may NOT approve continuing education for other entities.
2015 ANCC Criteria
- Applications accepted three times per year (March 1, July 1 & November 1) (see cycle chart)
- Application review fee applies based on type of organization (see Fees and Requirements)
- All Applicants must meet specific eligibility requirements to apply (see intent to apply form)
In order to become a provider of continuing nursing education programs, your organization must offer three individual continuing nursing education programs that have been approved by an Accredited Approver Unit or by the Northeast Multistate Division and the programs have to be completed before the submission of the provider application.
- All Approved Provider Applicants are required to submit an intent-to-apply form to ensure you meet all the criteria and submit a $200 intent-to-apply fee.
- Once the intent to apply form is completed and submitted, the Nurse Peer Review Leader will review and verify your intent to apply eligibility. The education specialist will notify you by email if your organization is eligible to continue with your Approved Provider application process.
- All Approved Provider applicants are required to submit three sample continuing nursing education activities.
- Approved Provider applications need to be submitted in table of contents order
- When your application and supporting documentation are complete, please submit payment below.
- Email one completely merged application file to NEMSD.email@example.com.
Three Individual Activity Files - Use an activity file documentation check list to insure your activity files are complete for review:
NARS Approved Provider Annual Reports - Due January 31st each year of approval
Activity Documentation Forms - 2018
Join the Northeast MSD Nurse Peer Review Education Committee
- learn how to review Individual Activities and Approved Provider Self Study applications as a means to stay current as a nurse planner and network with peers.
Fees and Requirement Information
The Northeast Multistate Division is accredited as an approver and provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation (ANCC COA).
If you have any questions please call 1-888-373-1291, Extension 2 or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our Professional Development Associate will be happy to assist you. Billing question call 1-888-373-1291, Extension 4 or E-mail email@example.com.